RECORDED TRAINING COURSE
As they say, “The ICE man cometh”. Anyone can claim an employer has not complied with E-Verify and Form I-9 requirements—and worst of all; those claims don’t even have to be true to trigger an audit. If that’s not enough, government agencies are actually starting to “talk” to each other. For example, the US Department of Labor (DOL) communicates with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) communicates with Child Support Services and on and on.
Research shows, however, that audits are often triggered by complaints, which, in turn, most often come from disgruntled employees. Others come from audits of targeted industries. The point is that you cannot assume that you are immune from an I-9 audit.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is not letting up. ICE has apparently resolved to continue auditing and inspecting employer compliance.
Correctly completing a Form I-9, that seemingly simple form, involves sifting through gray areas and often conflicting instructions that can prove to be a trap for the unwary, and often most well-intentioned employers. Even seemingly minor “paperwork” violations can land employers in hot water for non-compliance.
- Up-to-date I-9 compliance requirements
- Basic I-9 document review
- Recognize the effect of the new Form I-9 on hiring managers and field personnel
- Understand the new rules for acceptable documents used to verify employment eligibility
- E-Verify – pros and cons
- Understand the impact of the new Form I-9 will have on the use of E-Verify
- Conducting a self-audit of your I-9 process
- How to avoid the common errors and omissions including record-keeping errors
- Update on upcoming ICE I-9 audits
- Penalties for non-compliance
- Understanding civil and criminal penalties
- Walking the fine line between vigilance and illegal overstep when seeking proof of citizenship
- Establish best practices for reducing risks and correcting errors when using the new Form I-9
Why You Should Attend:
In this training session, we will cover what you really need to know about Form I-9 and E-Verify compliance as well as strategies for assessing hiring policies and implementing critical changes before ICE comes knocking on the door.
Attending this webinar will help you understand how to correctly fill out the I-9, and if you have made any mistakes up until now, how to correct them. You will also learn of new developments and some best practices, which should save your company from steep penalties.
Who Should Attend:
- HR Directors
- HR Practitioners at all levels
- Hiring Managers
- Business Owners
- Senior Managers
- E-Verify Users
Note: You will get access to the Recording link and E-Transcript; in your account and at your registered email address.
Janette S. Levey is an attorney with more than 20 years’ legal experience. She works with employers on most employment law issues to ensure that employers are in the best position possible to avoid litigation, audits, employee relations problems, and the attendant, often exorbitant costs.